Sunday, May 31, 2009

GeoThermoMass



For years I have wanted to experiment with an idea of using the earth’s thermo mass capabilities as a means to reduce the heating and cooling demand of your home. So on Memorial Day weekend I decided I would dig up my back yard to experiment with the idea. Went to the hardware store and bought a bunch of pipe and tubing to put in the ground and some grounding rods to work as temperature conduits. I rented a mini excavator to dig a trench. My plan was to dig down about 9 ft deep (the temperature stays mostly constant below 12ft) and then sink grounding rods another 8. I was going to dig a 20 ft ditch and install 15 grounding rods. I estimated this would give me approximately one ton of cooling capacity.

So I put together a manifold of pipes and tubes (see picture). The manifold was to allow me different ways to test my theory. I rented a mini excavator and started digging. First problem, I hit caliche (dirt as hard as rock) at 4 feet and couldn’t go any deeper. The excavator would just scrape the dirt. I decided I had already made the manifold so I may as well put it in at 4 ft. Next I tried to pound the grounding rods with a 25 lb jack hammer. I could only get them about 2 ft into the soil. So I got an auger hooked it to a drill and could get down about two feet that way. So in all I was only able to sink the grounding rods about 4 feet. It was frustrating,

So I made a mess of my back yard. Spent a lot of money and couldn’t get it deep enough. I may still be able to get some information from it. I will have to see if it ends up saving me any money on my cooling bill. At least I tried to do one of my new year’s regulations.

3 comments:

Photography By Jo said...

I'M SO PROUD OF MY PAPA! I'm happy that you are now trying out your experiments. I can't wait for one to work take off and make me lots of monies, I mean you lots of monies or at least save us some monies!

I'm sorry you couldn't dig any farther. What a bummer. I wish I owned this house then I could let you dig up my yard. :) The soil here is amazing.

Midlife Midwife said...

Good thing your wife is so understanding and lets you dig up your yard!

Jaime Lynne said...

Definitely good thing your wife is so amazing and lets you dig up that gorgeous backyard. We are impressed that you tried it and can't wait to hear how it turns out. You may have a second career as an inventor!