Sunday, July 15, 2007

Saying Good Morning

At one of the jobs i had everyone seamed very nice, except one person. She would swear like a sailor, even in front of guest. She was always in a bad mood and didn’t want to do anything for anyone, except her boss. Everyone except her was getting paid too much and didn’t deserve anything extra. I thought to my self, I have to watch what I say or do around her. If I needed something from her, I would simply find another way to get it done.

But despite this, I was nice to her. Each morning as I would walk by her desk I would pleasantly say “good morning”. At first there was a grumble, latter the grumble turned into a sarcastic good morning back, gradually the return good mornings became sincere. I was shocked one day, when returning from a trip she offered to do my expense report for me. She was even pleasant about it. I admit I was some worried about why she was being nice to me.

After a year of working there. I discovered that she is not only being nicer to me but to everyone else. It has probably been months since I herd her swear. I’m not saying that my niceness changed her life and attitude. But I hope it has made a difference. We never know how the little things we do will affect others.

3 comments:

Midlife Midwife said...

Through small and simple things are great things brought to pass. Good job!

Jeremy Jo and EmmaLee Tiny said...

Oh this is sooo true! You would be amazed by how much just a little reaching out can do. In high school I made an effort to make friends with a guy named Vernon. He was a large indian guy, had long hair, wore all black, chains, and didn't talk much. He was probably at least twice my size and I should have been scard of him but for some reason wasn't. At first when I started talking to him he wouldn't even look at me. By the end of the semester I he would talk to me, smile, and give me hugs.

Candi said...

The little things always count your right!